Following further easing of restrictions and guidance from the LTA, we have made a few updates to our current WGTC Coronavirus-COVID 19 Guidelines.
As before we need members to please respect and follow our Guidelines and advise us of any concerns.
- From Monday 1 June both singles play and doubles play is now permitted with people from outside of your household, as long as you remain 2 metres apart as far as possible – meaning that 4 people from different households can now play doubles.
- For doubles, please consider agreeing in advance which player will take the shot if a ball travels to the centre of the court.
- Players do not now need to use their own clearly marked tennis balls, but you may still choose to do this. If you choose to use shared balls, however, then extra care must be taken to ensure you do not touch your face during play, and you should clean your hands before play and immediately after finishing using alcohol gel if required.
- Players should still avoid using their hands to pick up tennis balls from other courts where possible – use your racket or foot to send them back.
- Players are advised to clean their hands after touching shared surfaces such as court gates and benches and avoid doing so where possible.
- Everyone is advised to avoid touching your face.
- Players are advised not to change ends during play.
- Ensure that there is no physical contact at all between players.
- As numbers of potential players increase in our small courtyard space, please respect social distancing by arranging to arrive on time for your session and by leaving very promptly after your session.
- Pre book your court online. Allow a buffer period of 5 minutes between court bookings to allow players to leave before next players arrive.
- Please stop playing at least 5 minutes before the end of your booking, quickly collect your own balls and possessions and leave the court swiftly but safely.
- When leaving the club via the alleyway, in line with social distancing, please do not pass by people who may already be in the passage. If in doubt, those entering the club, from the street, have priority.
- Play should take place during daylight hours. Floodlights should not to be used until further notice.
- The LTA’s advice remains currently to close all social spaces at venues and we will keep the changing rooms on the first floor of the clubhouse closed.
- The clubhouse should only be used for essential activities (a maximum of 10 minutes per person). Essential activities include for hand washing, the toilet, drinking water, first aid as well as grabbing wipes for rackets and purchasing new balls.
- All players and coaches, including juniors, should wash hands before and after a tennis session (or use an alcohol gel).
- Clean and wipe down equipment, including rackets, cones and tennis balls, which can be sprayed with disinfectant.
- Do not allow racket sharing or use of communal rackets.
- Consider using new balls, where possible, and consider using a small number of balls for a lesson, so fresh balls can be used for each session. We will put new cans of balls on the table in the clubhouse with an “honesty book” for members to write down how many cans they have taken (£5 per can of balls/ 3 cans for £12). We will take payment at a later date.
If someone who has played at WGTC develops symptoms of COVID-19, they should be directed to follow the Government’s ‘test and trace’ guidelines, which can be read on the Gov.uk website.
We will be reviewing our guidance constantly, in line with changing advice on the LTA website and with current and evolving Government advice.
Be aware that this advice may change at very short notice and so should be checked ahead of every session.
Thank you again for following our Guidelines to date. We really do appreciate it.
We look forward to seeing some games of socially distanced doubles soon!