22 March 2020
Clubhouse now partially closed
As we know, one of the main benefits of our sport is health and well-being. Although, in the interest of safety, we have now cancelled all club socials and tournaments, the Government have currently indicated that physical exercise outdoors (including grass roots coaching) at a safe distance from others, can continue for now, provided players are under 70 years of age, do not have underlying health conditions and are not pregnant.
The Department of Culture, Media and Sport has specifically advised that tennis should be encouraged while the guidance permits.
In line with new LTA advice published yesterday, if you do decide to play please:
- Allow a buffer period between court bookings to allow players to leave before next players arrive
- Keep in small groups, with a maximum of 4 players
- Avoid touching your face
- Keep a safe distance of 2 metres between each other and consider wearing gloves
- Players are advised not to change ends during play
- Ensure that there is no physical contact at all between players
- No other unnecessary extra-curricular or social activity should take place
- In practice, this means that the clubhouse should be used for essential activities only, including handwashing, accessing toilet facilities and accessing first aid equipment
- All players and coaches, including juniors, should wash hands before and after a tennis session (or use an alcohol gel)
- Clean and wipe down equipment, including rackets and cones. Do not allow racket sharing or use of communal rackets
- Consider using new balls, where possible, and consider using a small number of balls for a lesson, so fresh balls can be used for each session
- Adaptations to drills will be needed, furthermore, it is recommended that only coaches touch the balls and players avoid touching the balls.
The LTA’s advice is to close all social spaces at venues. We will be closing the changing rooms on the first floor of the clubhouse.
We believe, however, that members will need brief access to the clubhouse for hand washing, the toilet, drinking water, first aid as well as grabbing wipes for rackets.
We are therefore making access to the clubhouse strictly prohibited for any other reason and limiting the time spent in there to a maximum of 10 minutes per person.
We will be reviewing the advice on the LTA website daily, in line with current and evolving Government advice and will update WGTC’s website accordingly. Be aware that this advice may change at very short notice and so should be checked ahead of every session.
Please do stay safe and support each other, as much as possible, in these difficult and unprecedented times.